This Holiday Season, Many New York Parents Choose Reason for Their Kids

It’s winter and the holiday season is fast approaching. It’s a time when many of us feel nostalgic for childhood – a time of innocence, when we believed that anything was possible. But just as many parents around New York are telling stories, singing songs and fostering this seasonal spirit of wonder, an increasing number of parents are choosing science over Santa for their kids.

Over the Rainbow

flickr photo by charissa 1066 *in and out*

“We, at a very early age with our son Orin, were able to play games with him: Is this myth or is this reality? Is there a man in the moon? Is the tooth fairy real or not?” said Peter Schweitzer, a rabbi with the City Congregation for Jewish Humanism.

Schweitzer teaches a community of cultural, secular Jews and their families.

“At a very early age he learned that there was no tooth fairy,” he said. “Once he learned that, he was able to make other distinctions between fact and fiction.”

American Atheists recently paid for a billboard on the New Jersey side of the Lincoln Tunnel that  targets New York commuters. It encourages viewers to “celebrate reason.”

“We like our kids to have open minds,” said Ken Bronstein, the founder of NYC Atheists, a non-profit, non-partisan educational organization.

An increasing number of New York families are reflecting this idea as they raise their children. The trend appears to be controversial. I spoke with a variety of New Yorkers about the whether or not the idea of “honesty with children” is a positive thing.

Talking to Kids About Magic by rebeccadouglas

32 Responses to This Holiday Season, Many New York Parents Choose Reason for Their Kids

1. home d袯r says:

It’s going to be finish of mine day, however before finizh I am reading this fantastic piece of writing to increase my experience.

2. home ideas says:

I comment whenever I especially enjoy a article
    on a site or if I have something to valuable to contribute to the conversation.
    Usuallyy it iis triggered by the sincerness communcated in the
    article I read. And after this article This Holiday Season, Many New York Parents Choose Reason for
    Their Kids | Interactive New YorkInteractive Neew York.
    I was excited enough to drop a comment 😛 I do have a couple of questions for you if you usually do
    not mind. Could it be just me or does it look like like some of these responses appear as if
    they are coming from brain dead individuals? 😛 And, if you
    are posting onn additional online sites, I would like to follow anything fresh you have to post.

Would you make a list the complete urls of your public pages like your Facebook page, twitter feed,
    or linkedin profile?

3. Hello, Neat post. There’s an issue with your website in internet explorer, might check this?
    IE nonetheless is the marketplace chief and a good portion of folks will leave out your great writing due
    to this problem.

4. I was suggested this blog through my cousin. I’m not positive whether this submit is written by way
    of him as nobody else recognise such designated about my difficulty.
    You’re amazing! Thanks!

5. Excellent post. I was checking continuously this blog and I am impressed!

Extremely useful info specifically the last part 🙂 I care for such info a lot.

I was seeking this certain info for a long time.
    Thank you and best of luck.

Here is my webpage :: One Direction Tickets

6. handarbeiten says:

I am really enjoying the theme/design of your site. Do you ever run into any browser compatibility problems? A couple of my blog visitors have complained about my blog not operating correctly in Explorer but looks great in Opera. Do you have any solutions to help fix this problem?

7. xeriscaping says:

I pay a visit every day some sites and information sites to read articles, except this blog offers feature based articles.

my website; xeriscaping

8. all the time i used to read smaller posts which also clear their motive, and that is also happening with this paragraph which I am reading now.

Visit my weblog: Desert Gardening

9. Hello! This is my 1st comment here so I just wanted to give a quick shout out and say I really enjoy reading your articles. Can you suggest any other blogs/websites/forums that deal with the same topics? Thank you!

10. pests says:

What a stuff of un-ambiguity and preserveness of valuable know-how concerning unpredicted feelings.

11. Faustino says:

Great blog here! Also your site loads up fast! What web host are
    you using? Can I get your affiliate link to your host? I wish my website loaded up as fast as yours lol

12. Hey! This post could not be written any better!
    Reading through this post reminds me of my old room mate!
    He always kept talking about this. I will forward this page to him.
    Fairly certain he will have a good read. Many thanks for sharing!

Look into my weblog … car crashes in russia

13. cheap cialis says:

What you published made a ton of sense. However, think on this, suppose you wrote a catchier
    post title? I ain’t suggesting your content is not solid., but suppose you added something
    that grabbed folk’s attention? I mean This Holiday Season, Many New York Parents Choose
    Reason for Their Kids | Interactive New YorkInteractive New York is
    kinda boring. You should peek at Yahoo’s home page and see how they create article headlines
    to grab people interested. You might add a video or a
    pic or two to get readers interested about what you’ve got to say.
    Just my opinion, it would bring your posts a little bit more interesting.

My site :: cheap cialis

14. Hey there! I know this is kind of off-topic but
    I had to ask. Does operating a well-established
    website like yours require a large amount of work? I am brand new to writing a
    blog however I do write in my journal on a daily basis.
    I’d like to start a blog so I can easily share my personal experience and feelings online.
    Please let me know if you have any ideas or tips for brand new aspiring blog owners.
    Thankyou!

15. May I simply say what a comfort to find an individual who really understands what they’re discussing over the internet.

You actually realize how to bring a problem to light and make it important.
    A lot more people need to check this out and understand this side of
    your story. I was surprised you are not more popular given that you definitely have
    the gift.

16. Roseanna says:

Great goods from you, man. I’ve understand your stuff previous to and you’re just extremely magnificent.
    I really like what you’ve acquired here, certainly like what you are stating and the way in which you say it.
    You make it entertaining and you still care for to keep it sensible.

I can not wait to read much more from you. This is actually a terrific site.

Have a look at my web-site – template for cv (Roseanna)

17. We’re a group of volunteers and starting a brand new scheme in our community.
    Your site offered us with valuable information to work on.
    You have performed a formidable task and our whole community might be thankful to you.

18. If some one desires expert view on the topic of running a blog then i advise him/her to
    go to see this web site, Keep up the nice work.

My weblog – One Direction Tickets

19. Hi! This is my first visit to your blog! We are a collection of volunteers and starting a new project in a community in the same niche. Your blog provided us useful information to work on. You have done a wonderful job!

20. At my apartment complex we have had 3 fire drills (all at one AM nonetheless, ugh!). and in one of them, when I got into the stairwell. it was smokier than a Smoking Lounge at an airport! I thought to myself “aw. shi, I gotta go back to my room and get my stuff!!”. While I do have a lot of my prized possessions here at my apartment, not all of them are here (the rest are at home with my parents). but that doesn’t mean I would grab anything, because the clothes that are with me are my favorite! ha ha. So What I would save if I have some time:

21. Hi there all, here every person is sharing these experience,
    so it’s good to read this blog, and I used to go to see
    this weblog daily.

22. You are so cool! I ddo not suppose I have read
    anything like this before. So nice to discover somebody with some genuine thoughts on this issue.
    Seriously.. thank you for starting this up. This site is something that’s needed on the web, someone ith some originality!

23. Quali sono stati alcuni eventi degli anni ’80

24. You actually make it seem so easy with your presentation however I find this matter to be really one thing which I think I’d by no means understand. It seems too complicated and very huge for me. I am looking ahead for your next post, I will attempt to get the dangle of it!

25. Grande contenu que vous avez ici.

26. 10. Florescence (epischen Mix) von Andy Blueman Ein Instrumental aber eine triumphale Melodie, um es wie einen Krieg zu gewinnen hat. Dieses Lied kann verwendet werden, wenn das Studium, wenn Sie irgendeine Art von Musik, um Sie wach halten wollen.

27. Good post. I study something more challenging on different blogs everyday. It should always be stimulating to read content from different writers and observe a bit something from their store. I’d choose to use some with the content material on my weblog whether you don’t mind. Natually I’ll give you a link on your internet blog. Thanks for sharing.

28. Any statements referring to the expected future plans and performance of Neiman Marcus are forward looking statements and actual future results may differ materially from such statements. Please refer to our SEC filings where we include a description of the factors and risks that might cause our future results to differ from what we will be discussing today.

29. Amazing blog! Do you have any hints for aspiring writers?
    I’m hoping to start my own site soon but I’m a little lost on everything.
    Would you recommend starting with a free platform like WordPress or
    go for a paid option? There are so many options
    out there that I’m totally overwhelmed .. Any tips?
    Bless you!