It’s Alive! – Patient Zero Edition

[audio:http://cdn.journalism.cuny.edu/blogs.dir/20/files/2010/12/Its_Alive_Ep_1.mp3|titles=It’s Alive! – Episode 1]

It’s Alive! is a weekly podcast roundup of the best – and by best, we of course mean strangest – news in health science, representing everything you need to know about the week’s news in health and medicine in one bite-sized morsel.

This week we get to know a mouse with two dads, and not one that exists only in well intentioned children’s books that are banned in school libraries.

In diet news, we bring the mixed blessing that healthy food won’t protect you from cancer, but junk food may cause you to tear your own hair out – if you’re into that sort of thing.

Also, if you are a mouse. So maybe less to worry about there.

And we’ll also tell you what this picture is… though if you want to ruin the surprise, you could just keep reading after the jump. No pressure.
Spoiler Alert – It’s an MRI image of a live human birth!

After finally showing the world what people getting down in a sterile, highly magnetized tube (Caution: NSFW) looked like last year, researchers have done the only decent, responsible thing, demonstrating the gruesome consequences thereof.

You can also hear about the biggest no-news of this week in health – getting hit in the head for a living is detrimental to your brain. To demonstrate this, we bring you an object lesson from an authority on the matter. Dr. Tyson, if you please?

And finally, a couple of our favorite stories that didn’t make the podcast:

• Game designers at Sega think that men need a video game to distract them from their standard urge to just urinate all over the floor in public restrooms. The really sad thing is that we’re unwilling to say they’re wrong – especially when it looks like this much fun!

• Paris? Niagra Falls? The Bahamas? Doesn’t it seem like all the standard honeymoon spots are just done to death at this point? Have you considered getting away from it all with that special someone on the site of the world’s sexiest nuclear catastrophe? Neither had we – but it turns out that romantic Chernobyl would very much like some of your tourist dollars.
This entry was posted in Health, Science, Sports. Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to It’s Alive! – Patient Zero Edition

1. My bleeding stopped after my first acupuncture treatment and at the end of my month of treatment I
    resumed back to my normal period: a 4 day medium flow period without any PMS symptoms before or during
    my cycle. In Western medicine, ayurveda is classified as being a system of complementary and complementary medicine
    (CAM) that is utilized to complement, rather than replace,
    the therapy regimen and relationship that exists from a patient and their existing physician. There might be important ethical distinctions, for instance, among
    the following groups: U.

Stop by my homepage :: http://www.herbzone.pl/

2. To be sure that accuracy of reports is not compromised, it can be essential to endure a formal training process.
    Violation of health care standards: The medical or
    medical care provider still did not conform on the appropriate standard of care.
    Because you’re expected to take inventory coming from all medications, you must also
    develop your organization skills.

Stop by my blog … Health and Medicine

3. grqillmso pelmp uqpenwb rnnq thjunkvzhkneesv

4. djs says:

Greetings! I know this is kinda off topic but I’d figured I’d ask. Would you be interested in exchanging links or maybe guest writing a blog post or vice-versa? My site discusses a lot of the same subjects as yours and I think we could greatly benefit from each other. If you’re interested feel free to shoot me an email. I look forward to hearing from you! Excellent blog by the way!

5. Can I just say what a relief to find an individual who essentially knows what theyre talking about on the net. You absolutely know tips on how to bring an problem to light and make it critical. Additional persons really need to read this and fully grasp this side of the story. I cant believe youre not much more favorite because you unquestionably have the gift.

6. Absolutely great item, quick shipping and excellent communication. A+++

7. 17281 says:

SpellingNarration for early elementaryMath (addition)How Do You Know You Don’t Like It? Lesson for Middle SchoolReading Unit

8. Its like you read my mind! You seem to know so much about this, like you wrote the book in it or something. I think that you can do with some pics to drive the message home a little bit, but other than that, this is wonderful blog. A great read. I will definitely be back.
    Michael Kors wholesale http://www.lakesidecertified.com/images/Michael-Kors/Michael-Kors-wholesale.html

9. My husband and i have been so ecstatic Edward could carry out his researching through the entire ideas he made out of your web pages. It is now and again perplexing to simply always be giving away steps which many people might have been trying to sell. Therefore we do understand we have got the blog owner to appreciate for this. Those explanations you’ve made, the straightforward blog menu, the relationships you assist to instill – it’s most impressive, and it’s aiding our son in addition to the family reckon that that article is enjoyable, which is wonderfully fundamental. Thanks for everything!

10. Howdy! I just would like to give an enormous thumbs up for the nice info you might have right here on this post. I might be coming back to your weblog for more soon.

11. Hi! Do you use Twitter? I’d like to follow you if that would be ok. I’m definitely enjoying your blog and look forward to new posts.

12. wow gold says:

I adore any number of wow gold that we have bought. I love these besides Allow me to rarely make them concerning paws who have’nt experienced it getting 10 mins to find him or her upon.

13. we just bring up James Vuitton Galliera PRIME MINISTER Pack That Has ITS showcases unique physical shape and compact length. James Vuitton Galliera PRIME MINISTER Pack Can Also be half coming from

14. An impressive share, I simply given this onto a colleague who was doing a bit analysis on this. And he actually bought me breakfast because I discovered it for him.. smile. So let me reword that: Thnx for the deal with! However yeah Thnkx for spending the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love reading more on this topic. If possible, as you become experience, would you thoughts updating your blog with extra particulars? It is highly useful for me. Big thumb up for this blog post!

15. Oh my goodness! an amazing article dude. Thanks However I’m experiencing issue with ur rss . Don’t know why Unable to subscribe to it. Is there anyone getting identical rss drawback? Anybody who knows kindly respond. Thnkx

16. Es ist Freitag Nacht. Sie haben die gesamte Arbeitswoche verbrachte betont, 眉ber Aufgaben und tat, als ob Fett brenda Leben k眉mmern oder stirbt w盲hrend ihrer Operation und fragen sich, wo Sie die falsche Abzweigung in das Leben nahm. Aber jetzt ist es das Wochenende. Sie wollen, wie schlecht Ihre Existenz ist f眉r ein paar Stunden zu vergessen und zu tun, was jeder zu tun altruistischen m盲nnlichen erh枚hen die Zahl der menschlichen Rasse will.

17. wow gold says:

theese wow gold are actually absolutely fabolous!!! are put awesome, these are good along with clothing,tasteful and classy these people sooo attractive!! they go with everything else they are really good for laid back bring in unique conditions, venturing, all night to figure how the fantastic thing about these folks omg i simply lovee theese wow gold!!!

18. That is very interesting, You are an excessively professional blogger. I’ve joined your feed and stay up for in search of more of your wonderful post. Also, I have shared your website in my social networks!

19. Great blog! Is your theme custom made or did you download it from somewhere? A design like yours with a few simple tweeks would really make my blog jump out. Please let me know where you got your theme. Thank you

20. will says:

Ive in no way read something like this prior to. So nice to locate somebody with some original thoughts on this subject, really thank you for starting this up. this web site is one thing that’s essential on the net, someone with a small originality. beneficial job for bringing some thing new towards the internet!

21. Using ingenious technology and innovation the
    Romans made an Empire that withstood the test of energy.
    She invites one to visit her site where she is going
    to share a proven way to start an business online.
    ” Employees at Nike are encouraged to become curious and open to new ideas, whatever their source.

Also visit my blog … flawonoidy gdzie występują

22. Hi, i read your blog occasionally and i own a similar
    one and i was just wondering if you get a lot
    of spam feedback? If so how do you prevent it, any plugin or anything you
    can recommend? I get so much lately it’s driving me insane so any support is very much appreciated.

23. Bulks from the advertisers are primarily private home owners, letting managers and property agents.

Each auction could possibly be conducted using a different group of
    terms including bid increments, number of auction rounds and expense
    reimbursement to the stalking horse. The business degree raises one’s social standing: in short, it opens in your case doors that will
    have otherwise remained closed for you.

Also visit my blog post zioła na blizny

24. Goоd daу! Ι could hɑve sworn I’ve visited tһis web site before but aftеr lоoking at
    ѕome of tҺe articles I realized іt’s new to me. Regardlesѕ, I’m cᥱrtainly delighted І stumbled ᥙpon it and I’ll Ƅе book-marking іt and checking Ьack often!

25. Archive says:

thanks very good

26. nexvan says:

It was useful thank you