Waterworld: NYC Marathon Runners Get Drinks at Mile 9 in Brooklyn

Lafayette Avenue became the 9 mile marker for the New York City Marathon last weekend, as well as a much needed oasis for runners. From early in the morning, volunteers were setting up tables, unloading trucks, stirring cauldrons of Gatorade in plastic garbage cans and pouring hundreds of gallons of bottled water into cups for marathon runners.

Cleanup had already begun even before the first runners arrived, but volunteers and sanitation workers were fighting an uphill battle. Tens of thousands of participants sprinted, jogged, strolled and rolled through the street, flooding the gutters with spring water, sweat and electrolytes. Paper cups that didn’t get piled high over curbs got crushed to a gooey green pulp underfoot. But volunteers and neighbors didn’t seem to mind, attacking the mess with rakes, snow shovels and industrial garbage bags while hollering words of encouragement to marathon runners.

Local business owners got in on the act as well, with Thierry Cabigeos, owner of high-end grocery store Choice Greene, got up early to ply the thronging crowds with hot coffee and fresh baked pastries that are – understandably – more popular with NYC Marathon watchers than participants.

“We’re only on mile nine,” Cabigeos explains. “Everyone’s still pretending to run here.”

This entry was posted in Sports. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Waterworld: NYC Marathon Runners Get Drinks at Mile 9 in Brooklyn

1. radio fm says:

As I site possessor I believe the content matter here is rattling wonderful , appreciate it for your efforts. You should keep it up forever! Good Luck.

2. kinderschuhe says:

I’m not sure why but this site is loading extremely slow for me. Is anyone else having this issue or is it a problem on my end? I’ll check back later on and see if the problem still exists.

3. Hey, you used to write excellent, but the last several posts have been kinda boring… I miss your tremendous writings. Past few posts are just a bit out of track! come on!

4. Ive by no means read something like this just before. So nice to find somebody with some original thoughts on this topic, really thank you for starting this up. this web-site is something which is essential on the internet, a person having a small originality. useful job for bringing some thing new towards the internet!

5. marine clay says:

As I web site possessor I believe the content matter here is rattling great , appreciate it for your hard work. You should keep it up forever! Best of luck.

6. You actually make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this matter to be actually something which I think I would never understand. It seems too complicated and very broad for me. I am looking forward for your next post, I’ll try to get the hang of it!

7. Hello There. I found your blog using msn. This is a really well written article. I’ll make sure to bookmark it and return to read more of your useful info. Thanks for the post. I will certainly comeback.

8. Does your site have a contact page? I’m having problems locating it but, I’d like to shoot you an email. I’ve got some ideas for your blog you might be interested in hearing. Either way, great website and I look forward to seeing it develop over time.

9. Hey very nice blog!! Man .. Excellent .. Amazing .. I will bookmark your site and take the feeds also…I am happy to find numerous useful information here in the post, we need develop more techniques in this regard, thanks for sharing. . . . . .

10. “Hey, thanks for the blog article.Thanks Again.”

11. Thank you for sharing …

12. archive says:

Thank you for sharing