NYC Food Inequalities and East New York Farms

The city published a report in 2008 calling East New York one of the highest need neighborhoods for healthier food availability.

East New York has one of the city’s highest diabetes rates and also one of its highest obesity rates.

Recently, it seemed like things were turning up.  East New York Farms started 12 years ago, a coalition between United Community Centers and local farmers in the area to provide healthy produce to the population.

Using large community farms for produce, UCC and its interns harvest the food and sell it at a market on Saturday mornings.  Independent local famers bring their produce as well.

Below, some of the people involved in the initiative discuss the need for East New York Farms.

Pauline Reed works in four different community gardens. She sells vegetables typical in Jamaican cooking, such as bitter melon.

Pauline Reed by nidanajar

Lyeta Herb is a vegetarian who sells vegan baked goods at the market.

Lyeta Herb 1-2 by nidanajar

Joica Ingram is a 14-year-old intern with UCC. She discusses what she gets from her internship.

Joica Ingram 1-2 by nidanajar

And, the sounds of the market:

The Sounds of the Market 1-2 by nidanajar

13 Responses to NYC Food Inequalities and East New York Farms

1. Atlanta Interior Designer says:

I enjoyed reading through and believe this blog has alot really usefull information on it!

2. Denny Wotton says:

This web site is mostly a stroll-by way of for all of the info you needed about this and didn

3. Lura Lamer says:

Exceptionally advantageous webpage: correctly organised, compact. Made for use, not just play.

4. dj mixes says:

You created some decent points there. I looked on the web for the issue and found most people will go along with with your internet site.

5. Wow that was unusual. I just wrote an incredibly long comment but after I clicked submit my comment didn’t show up. Grrrr… well I’m not writing all that over again. Anyway, just wanted to say excellent blog!

6. Wonderful items from you, man. I have remember your stuff prior to and you are simply too magnificent. I really like what you’ve received here, really like what you’re saying and the best way in which you are saying it. You make it enjoyable and you continue to take care of to keep it wise. I can not wait to learn far more from you. This is really a tremendous web site.

7. I would like to point out my admiration for your generosity for those people who absolutely need assistance with this particular niche. Your real commitment to passing the solution around has been particularly useful and has in most cases encouraged ladies much like me to attain their ambitions. Your own interesting guide entails this much a person like me and still more to my peers. Thank you; from each one of us.

8. Hey there! Do you know if they make any plugins to assist with SEO? I’m trying to get my blog to rank for some targeted keywords but I’m not seeing very good results. If you know of any please share. Appreciate it!

9. Thank you for every other magnificent post. Where else could anyone get that kind of information in such a perfect means of writing? I have a presentation subsequent week, and I’m on the look for such info.

10. I just couldn’t go away your website before suggesting that I really loved the standard information a person supply for your visitors? Is gonna be again ceaselessly to check out new posts

11. I’ve been absent for a while, but now I remember why I used to love this site. Thank you, I will try and check back more frequently. How frequently you update your web site?

12. That is very interesting, You are an overly professional blogger. I’ve joined your rss feed and look ahead to in search of more of your fantastic post. Also, I have shared your site in my social networks!