Barnard Students Deal With Anxiety and Depression in NYC

Recent teen suicides have caused Americans to wonder if anything could have been done to prevent these tragedies.

According to the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention (AFSP), 95% of suicidal college students suffer from mental illness, usually depression. College (late teens, early twenties) is around the time that individuals with psychiatric disorders begin to manifest symptoms.

In order to receive help, students need to be proactive. This sort of self-motivation is often difficult for people who experience anxiety and depression.

New York is a city where many people go to therapy and feel comfortable talking about therapy, but anxiety and depression can still be great “pests of New York” (especially for young people).

Individuals at Barnard College, Columbia University recognize the difficulty of getting students to seek psychological help.

Barnard Residential Advisor, Alyssa Kahn, discusses how college life in NYC can catalyze to anxiety and depression.
Alyssa by rebecca.douglas

Catherine Calhoun, a Barnard graduate and student at the Columbia University School of Social Work, discusses cutting herself while in college and rejecting the help of friends.
Catherine by rebecca.douglas

Catherine Calhoun demonstrates deep breathing as an exercise to prevent panic attacks and destructive behavior.
Breath by rebecca.douglas

Doctor Mary Commerford, Director of Barnard College’s Rosemary Furman Counseling Center, talks about methods of suicide prevention at Barnard.
Mary by rebecca.douglas

14 Responses to Barnard Students Deal With Anxiety and Depression in NYC

1. Wow, incredible blog structure! How lengthy have you ever been blogging for? you made running a blog glance easy. The full look of your website is fantastic, let alone the content material!

2. Glen Baun says:

Apple iPod mondiale fournit des informations gratuites, avis sur tous les produits liés à l’iPod d’Apple, il s’agit notamment de l’iPod Classic, Touch, Nano et Shuffle.

3. Je vais avoir un petit problème, je ne peux pas souscrire votre alimentation, j’utilise google reader par la manière.

4. Prachtige lens! Keep up the good work

5. Bart Magwood says:

C’EST RATE, C’est pas clair ….

6. kindermoden says:

You really make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this matter to be really something that I think I would never understand. It seems too complex and very broad for me. I’m looking forward for your next post, I will try to get the hang of it!

7. I was recommended this web site through my cousin. I’m not positive whether this submit is written by him as no one else understand such unique about my difficulty. You are wonderful! Thanks!

8. Hi, Neat post. There’s a problem with your web site in internet explorer, would test this… IE still is the market leader and a huge portion of people will miss your fantastic writing due to this problem.

9. rent homes says:

I’ve been absent for some time, but now I remember why I used to love this site. Thank you, I will try and check back more often. How frequently you update your web site?

10. Superb blog! Do you have any tips and hints for aspiring writers? I’m planning to start my own website soon but I’m a little lost on everything. Would you propose starting with a free platform like WordPress or go for a paid option? There are so many choices out there that I’m completely overwhelmed .. Any suggestions? Kudos!

11. Ik ben onder de indruk van de kwaliteit van de informatie op deze website. Er zijn veel goede middelen hier. Ik weet zeker dat ik zal deze plek opnieuw te bezoeken binnenkort.

12. As I website possessor I believe the content matter here is rattling magnificent , appreciate it for your hard work. You should keep it up forever! Good Luck.

13. you’re in reality a just right webmaster. The website loading pace is incredible. It sort of feels that you’re doing any unique trick. Also, The contents are masterwork. you’ve done a wonderful task on this matter!

14. Un puesto de investigación bien. Es muy agradable para leerlo. Con su estilo único representación ha añadido a su valor.