NYC Panhandlers: friend or foe?

Photo: The Brooklyn Paper

Most New Yorkers can’t find anything nice to say about a panhandler begging for spare change. Unless it’s posthumously.

When Carroll Gardens panhandler Gilberto Medina died earlier this month, many residents grieved the loss of the familiar face that greeted them on their daily commute.

Medina, a wheelchair-bound homeless veteran who set up shop at the bottom of the steps of the Carroll Street station, was remembered with a shrine near the spot he frequented for two decades. The sidewalk memorial featured a photo of Medina, a single candle, bouquets of flowers, and strangely, a plate of sandwiches. Visitors hung notes from the subway handrail, but some residents still had words left unsaid about Medina:

A familiar face by Tierney McAfee

A little part of Carroll Gardens by Tierney McAfee

How did he get down there? by Tierney McAfee

Sounds of the Subway by Tierney McAfee

10 Responses to NYC Panhandlers: friend or foe?

1. radio fm says:

I was just seeking this information for some time. After six hours of continuous Googleing, at last I got it in your website. I wonder what’s the lack of Google strategy that don’t rank this kind of informative web sites in top of the list. Generally the top websites are full of garbage.

2. handarbeit says:

you could have an incredible blog here! would you prefer to make some invite posts on my weblog?

3. With every thing which seems to be developing within this subject matter, your viewpoints tend to be somewhat stimulating. On the other hand, I appologize, but I can not subscribe to your whole suggestion, all be it radical none the less. It would seem to everyone that your opinions are generally not totally validated and in reality you are generally your self not wholly confident of your assertion. In any event I did take pleasure in examining it.

4. Interesting blog! Is your theme custom made or did you download it from somewhere? A theme like yours with a few simple adjustements would really make my blog shine. Please let me know where you got your theme. Thanks

5. Krystyna says:

I know this web site provides quality dependent articles or reviews and extra material, is there
    any other web page which provides these kinds of stuff in quality?

6. homes says:

Hello there, I found your blog via Google while looking for a related topic, your website came up, it looks great. I’ve bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.

7. seo says:

Excellent read, I just passed this onto a colleague who was doing some research on that. And he just bought me lunch since I found it for him smile Thus let me rephrase that: Thanks for lunch!

8. Thank you a bunch for sharing this with all of us you actually understand what you are speaking approximately! Bookmarked. Please additionally visit my website =). We may have a hyperlink trade agreement among us!

9. Thank you for sharing superb informations. Your web-site is so cool. I am impressed by the details that you’ve on this web site. It reveals how nicely you perceive this subject. Bookmarked this website page, will come back for extra articles. You, my friend, ROCK! I found just the info I already searched everywhere and just couldn’t come across. What a great web site.

10. 2TWFBn I value the article post. Will read on…