Overcrowding in New York City Public Schools: Can We Fix It?

Since the recent release of David Guggenheim’s documentary, “Waiting for Superman,” problems with urban public schools have gained more attention. But are there adequate solutions? New York City parents sure hope so.

One of the most problematic issues that many of the schools face is overcrowding.  According to the Department of Education, there are 1.1 million New York children to educate. Many children are waitlisted at the schools that they are zoned for. They are required to go out of the area to other (perhaps less desirable) schools in order to get any education at all. One hundred and eleven children were waitlisted at PS 87 last year.

Class sizes are large—often well over thirty children—and help is hard to come by. The state allows parents the opportunity to pay for teaching assistants. This means that schools in wealthier areas are able to pay teacher salaries. Parents in poorer areas often have difficulty raising the funds to pay for that sort of help.

Many schools have been forced to cut key programs in order to pay for more teachers and teaching assistants. Mark Diller, the education chair for Manhattan’s community district 7 told me about the cuts at his son’s school—LaGuardia, a performing arts high

school. The school recently cut the spring musical in order to pay for teachers’ salaries. Mark told me, “We’re past where we’re cutting ‘fat.’ We’re cutting things that are essential.”

Things shouldn’t be this way. Sherri Semone, a parent at PS 84, thought that her child would be part of a class of twenty-five, but the class now has thirty-two students. She adamantly told me, “seven kids make a difference.” Parents want change. Sherri and other parents are applying for grants to help to pay for improvements, but money is scare and few parents have the time to find ways to get it.

There must be a better solution. How do we fix it?
Please share your own experience/ ideas regarding New York City Public Schools.

20 Responses to Overcrowding in New York City Public Schools: Can We Fix It?

1. thanks for qualifying some of the problems teachers are having! A lot of my friends are teachers and administrators, and believe me – they are AWESOME teachers that work their asses off.

2. Blake says:

I am absolutely blown away at how great the info is on this web site. I have saved this webpage and I truly plan on visiting the site in the next few days. Keep up the great work!

3. Fotomodelki says:

my favorite because of the division between comments. Making it real easy to read.

4. dukan diet says:

Please inform me it worked proper? I dont need to sumit it again if i shouldn’t have to! Both the blog glitced out or i’m an idiot, the second choice doesnt shock me lol. thanks for an ideal weblog! Anyway, in my language, there usually are not a lot good supply like this.

5. I woud love to say thank you with this fantastic content. I desire your making success and also remember to make me aware if you have brand-new improvements for this submit.kolay para kazan

6. I am getting at you’ve made excellent jobs men. I truly appericate realistically work. Stay in touch as well as I wish a person all the best. Within your company.anket listesi hakkında

7. Quality info, it is a shame that this type of virtue is not available on other websites. Thank you for taking the time to actually write this :-)

8. Quality stuff, it is a shame that this type of impression is not available on other websites. Thank you for taking the time to actually write this :-)

9. IRul AJa says:

Terrific words, it is a shame that this type of element is not available on other websites. Thank you for taking the time to actually set down this :-)

10. Candi Poon says:

“I am having trouble finding a holster for my gun. I am wanting a inside the waistband holster for concealed carry. I have an EAA P Carry 9mm with a picatinny rail. The dimensions of the gun are: 7.5 Overall, 1.4 Width, 5.5 Height, and 3.6 Barrel.”

11. This blog was… how do I say it? Relevant!! Finally I have found something that helped me. Appreciate it!

12. Howdy! I know this is kinda off topic nevertheless I’d figured I’d
    ask. Would you be interested in trading links or maybe guest authoring
    a blog post or vice-versa? My site discusses a lot
    of the same topics as yours and I think we could greatly benefit from each other.
    If you might be interested feel free to send me an email.
    I look forward to hearing from you! Wonderful blog by the way!

13. edu says:

It’s actually a cool and helpful piece of
    information. I am satisfied that you just shared this helpful info with us.
    Please stay us informed like this. Thank
    you for sharing.

14. 人気の高級老舗 広告の ナイロン 心のこもった 東京 緑色の 適合 よく販売 絹 親族 2012新作 有名な スラックス よく売れる 暖かい ファッションの ソフト あなたの いと メッシュ ズボン リンネル スカート 海外セレブのブランド 新着 シャツ 高品質の製品 華やか
    かんじゅく かぶわけ どうぼう つまり たいりゅう もらいゆ きらきら かんのむし さばき ざこね くわがた ちら とおのける それで ちょうよう りつげん つきなかば せいいき せつじつ よき おりづる モデル あまぐも

15. It came delivered with Medium Gauge Phosphor-Bronze wound
    strings. There are 12 octaves to try out while on an electric
    guitar as well as the sound is amplified through tuners and preamps to
    deliver optimal sound quality. Pianists might have figured out your instrument via many years of private lessons.
    I have always despised playing acoustics with this reason; it can make them feel unnatural as well as-balance.

Here is my blog – Best Acoustic Guitar

16. torba says:

Fajne podejście do sprawy.. mamy prawie takie samo zdanie.

17. Hello there my children new member! I must declare that this post is brilliant, great created obtainable by using about all critical infos. I’d like to look far more posts like this .

18. At this time I am ready to do my breakfast, after having my breakfast coming again to read additional news.

19. This is very interesting, You’re an overly professional blogger.
    I’ve joined your rss feed and look forward to in the hunt for
    extra of your wonderful post. Also, I have shared your site in my social networks

20. You need to take part in a contest for one of the best sites on the web.
    I am going to recommend this blog!