Cell Phones on NYC Subways: Advancing Mankind or Advancing Annoyance?

cell phone on new york subway platform astoriaTransit Wireless, the networking company contracted by the MTA,  secured deals last week with AT&T and T-Mobile, and started laying the groundwork for cell phone service on NYC subways.  Within 2 years, networking will be available on 6 testing sites near 14th street. After 4 years, the rest of NYC’s 227 stations will follow. Where some platforms are close together, commuters may have the ability to talk, text and surf while riding inside cars themselves.

“For too long the subway system has been an information black hole in our lives, and bringing cell and Wi-Fi service to stations is one of the ways we are working to change that,” said Jay H. Walder, MTA Chairman.

Although some see this upgrade as overdue, others find cell phone users already have a license to be obnoxious and this will only get worse.

Other cities already have cell phones in transit systems, but there are a host of problems that come along with that. Boston, for instance, saw an increase of cell phone theft.

In August,  The Brian Lehrer Show asked riders to weigh in on the issue and got an earful about etiquette and a comment box full of complaints like this one:

“Instead of having ‘quiet cars’ why not reverse it, make the whole train a quiet zone and reserve a car or two for those that want to be loud and obnoxious?” said Curt from Washington Heights.

On the other hand, when commuters get trapped underground, cell phones can be useful in informing people of your lateness. Even the subway-loving, Mayor Bloomberg, couldn’t escape getting stuck in the Union Square station in 2004.

Is the  MTA’s cell phone plan useful or does it offer one more chance for a rude fellow New Yorker to annoy you?

Do improvements like this justify the rising cost of your metro fare, whose price is being voted on this week?

This entry was posted in People Pests and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Cell Phones on NYC Subways: Advancing Mankind or Advancing Annoyance?

1. Nathaniel Frandino says:

The only useful part of this plan is the opportunity for individuals to increase their own security by the ability to contact the authorities while underground and on the platforms. I say this because we’ve seen a tremendous decrease in station agents, which commuters have noticed and are worried about.

However, this cell phone plan definitely offers more than just a “chance for a rude fellow New Yorker to annoy” me, it’s a guarantee. While some commuters may be immune to the annoyances of the subway, a man or woman armed with a cell phone would make people crack. It’s bad enough with the cacophony of unnecessarily loud mp3 players and iPods, but sharing your personal conversation out loud with a bunch of strangers? Completely out of the question.

This is just one more reason for New Yorkers to be upset with the MTA.

2. Hannah Miet says:

I’m worried about those transitions. Those moments when you can clear your head, and decide if you really want to be traveling to see him/her/it at midnight. There is less room for the stirring of thoughts these days. And while I acknowledge it’s not always positive, I’ll be using my phone on the train. I just know it. It’s hard to disconnect when technology becomes habit.

Expect train tweets. And not just while I’m above ground.

3. Elis Estrada-Simpson says:

If the technology and service is available, I will use it. As mentioned in your article, cell phones in the subway might be good in emergency circumstances.

Whenever people are talking about whether or not the use of cell phones in the subway is a good thing, I always think about how people can already use their cell phones in the above ground stations and lines in upper Manhattan and the outer boroughs. So in that case, would it really be that big of a change?

However, I do like to think that after a super long day, my subway ride home is my quiet time/zen and I would not want it to be interrupted by loud cell phone conversation.

4. This design is spectacular! You obviously know how
    to keep a reader amused. Between your wit and your videos, I was
    almost moved to start my own blog (well, almost.
    ..HaHa!) Fantastic job. I really enjoyed what you had to say, and more than that,
    how you presented it. Too cool!

5. Hi there, the whole thing is going perfectly here
    and ofcourse every one is sharing data, that’s genuinely excellent, keep up writing.

6. What’s Going down i’m new to this, I stumbled upon this I
    have found It absolutely helpful and it has helped me out loads.
    I’m hoping to give a contribution & assist different customers like its helped me.
    Great job.

7. Wonderful goods from you, man. I’ve have in mind your stuff prior to and you’re just too fantastic. I actually like what you have got here, really like what you’re stating and the best way during which you say it. You’re making it entertaining and you still take care of to keep it sensible. I cant wait to learn far more from you. That is actually a tremendous site.

8. That is really fascinating, You’re a very skilled blogger. I have joined your feed and stay up for in the hunt for extra of your magnificent post. Additionally, I’ve shared your site in my social networks!

9. rent to buy says:

I know this if off topic but I’m looking into starting my own blog and was wondering what all is needed to get set up? I’m assuming having a blog like yours would cost a pretty penny? I’m not very internet savvy so I’m not 100% sure. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

10. seo service says:

I truly appreciate this post. I have been looking everywhere for this! Thank goodness I found it on Bing. You’ve made my day! Thx again

11. This really answered my problem, thanks!

12. Je suis sûr que ce que vous avez dit va certainement percer les oreilles de vos lecteurs et leur faire réfléchir plus profondément à ce sujet

13. Hey – nice weblog, schaut sich um einige Blogs, scheint eine ziemlich gute Plattform, die Sie verwenden könnten. Ich bin derzeit mit WordPress für ein paar meiner Seiten, sondern schauen, um 1 von ihnen mehr als eine Plattform ähnlich wie bei Ihnen als ein Probelauf verändern. Etwas in spezifischen würden Sie darüber empfehlen?

14. He estado en este sitio para un poco, pero no me he presentado todavía. Sé un poco sobre el equipo / Xbox / OS de hardware y software y verious otros aparatos electrónicos. Soy muy grande en el sector minorista también. Me encanta la construcción, la fijación y modificación de equipo y recientemente había estado buscando una comunidad en línea para ayudar a construir y crecer en el conocimiento de lo que me gusta hacer más. Estamos deseando trabajar con ustedes.

15. This can be the proper weblog for any person who wants to locate out about this subject. You comprehend so much its just about difficult to argue with you (not that I really would want…HaHa). You unquestionably put a new spin on a topic thats been written about for years. Excellent stuff, just wonderful!

16. Thomas Naef says:

Thank for the great post… Appreciated.

17. Thank you for the great piece

18. online poker says:

Spot on with this write-up, I really think this web
    site needs a great deal more attention. I’ll probably be returning
    to see more, thanks for the advice!