I Think I Smell A Rat

Photo by David Berkowitz

While I am reluctant to state that my apartment “has” a rat, it could be accurately stated that a rat has been spotted around our home on occasion. For my roommate, this represents the worst-case scenario as regards household pests. But as much as I would like to present a united front against this rat, a stirring display of human solidarity against this probably plague-addled invader, I can’t seem to muster more than a shrug.

So far as vermin go, the brown rats that are so common in New York and have recently grown more visible in neighborhoods near mine, seem like amiable houseguests. The rat is soft and warm-blooded and covered in fur. It just wants to eat something and scurry back off to a dank nest, maybe to cuddle with a house cat.

This rat and I, in other words, are a lot alike. There is room for an accord.My rare encounters with the creature have all involved it scuttling out of the room upon seeing me. ‘Oh, shit,’ it seems to say. ‘I was just heading out.’ It’s the same vibe one gets from a friend who has overstayed a welcome on your couch and begins tidying the living room when you stroll in, as if this is what he has been doing all day.

Not so, the roach. Roaches, even if they are full of bizarre super-medicines, remain the worst of all possible pests.

The. Worst.

Even when they aren’t around, roaches feel like they’re around, instilling an omnipresent sense of dread in an apartment’s rightful owners, who can only ever be certain of one thing – no matter how many roaches they have gruesomely dispatched, there are always more roaches. Somewhere. Waiting. Plotting. For me, this thought is too much to bear, and a far worse fate than life alongside a single, well-mannered muroid.

Am I alone on this? Which of the many incidental roommates provided by New York makes your skin crawl the most? Is it rats? Roaches? Or another beast or bugaboo that will always be a deal-breaker on even the finest apartment?

This entry was posted in Vermin. Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to I Think I Smell A Rat

1. Hannah Miet says:

Bedbugs, man. Bedbugs.

Rats are really, really gross, but they won’t make me itchy.

2. channon says:

First, I have to say, although I thought the cat cuddling mice video was cute – it, much like The Never Ending Story, will probably give me nightmares. WHY is that?

After much consideration, I’m going with Hannah on this one. Bedbugs, unlike mice or other vermin, are the only creatures that will sit on your face and suck your blood for 5 whole minutes until they’re full. Then, they’ll live on that blood for as much as 18 months….

3. Ross says:

Rat is actually quite delicious. No idea about roach, but I suspect if you cooked it right, it might be edible. But, cheer up. A parasite is exactly as clean as the environment in which it lives. So you won’t get any sicker than you would have otherwise.

Plus, you can greatly reduce the number of roaches by getting rid of all standing water in the apartment. No water=thirsty roaches=roaches that stay in the neighbors’ apt.

4. Once I originally commented I clicked the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and now each time a remark is added I get four emails with the same comment. Is there any approach you may remove me from that service? Thanks!

5. dekoration says:

I like the valuable information you provide in your articles. I’ll bookmark your blog and check again here frequently. I’m quite certain I will learn a lot of new stuff right here! Best of luck for the next!

6. It is best to take part in a contest for among the best blogs on the web. I’ll suggest this site!

7. You are a very intelligent person!

8. I’d need to check with you here. That is not one thing I usually do! I take pleasure in reading a post that may make persons believe. Also, thanks for allowing me to comment!

9. health tips says:

Thank you for any other magnificent post. The place else may just anyone get that kind of information in such an ideal method of writing? I’ve a presentation subsequent week, and I’m at the look for such information.

10. If you have stored vegetables thhat are rotting, open containers of
    food in cupboards, or unsecured garbage pails, remove all refuse
    and replace containers with those that seal tightly. This will definitely leave a lingering odor but may not
    be so pleasant. These insects live in a dark,
    moist areas especially in cracks in thee walls,
    within electronic appliances as well as under all types of furnishings.

11. Let us look at the roaches ability to reproduce and how quickly they are able to over populate an error, the numbers will be shocking.
    Chemical lice insecticides are harmful to humans, especially children. There aree also DIY
    gel baits you can buy yourself but thee types of gel baits are not as good as your pest controllers gel bait they use.

12. It costs bout $15 and it comes in an aerosol can with a small spraying
    tube like the kind you see on a WD-40 can. Do not
    waste time because this may worsen the situation and you will need more time to get rid of this problem.
    Put it behind the drawers, under thee sink and keep using it until the cockroaches are kikcked out altogether.

13. Edgar says:

Coli, Streptococcus, Salmonella, Shigella, hookworms, pinworms, tapeworms
    and some viruses. I have been trying hard to get rid of roaches ever since I started my family.
    Many homeowners have no idea where the roaches arre
    entering, let alone where they aare setting up camp.

14. West Palm Beach pest control company Gulfstream Environmental Services recommends that homeowners clean out areas of standing
    water and avoid excess clutter if they hope to avoid
    cockroach infestation. Regardless of which area of the United States you live in, one of the most common pesky problem of your apartment are cockroaches.
    The above are some of the natural cockroch repellent methods
    I have personally used in order too get rid of cockroaches in my apartment.

15. To help control these cockroaches in ykur home a good Pest Management company will spray treatt
    insude your home, spray treat outside your home, dust ypur roof void,dust weep holes and apply a cockroach gel bait to
    your kitchen cupboards. It takes time, money and effort
    to eradicate oor exterminate them. Mange ccauses itching and skin irritation and eventual hair loss.

16. Jacinto says:

There are plenty of ways on how to get rid oof warts
    on hands. Afterward you soak the region getting itt all nice
    and a lot of and after that rub away the warts with one of those pumice stones or several fine sannd papers.
    An average of three to four treatments are required for warts of thin skin.

17. Angelina says:

On hair, Argan oil has proven to bee a dependable defense against baldness annd also progressively thinning hair.

Lastly, youu can get argan oil in a styling product.
    As you can see Arganokl manages so many things at once.

18. There are few important things to remember when applying Diatomaceous Earth outside.

In conclusion, no matter what kind of pest infestation youu have had,
    your main goal is to get rid of them and make sure they do not
    come back. Despite the fact, the pest control in industry in the world is still very nominal in household or business.

19. Maricruz says:

Article Source: I’m guessing if you viewed this particular
    article you obviously have an interest in home pest control.
    You can also use a spray bbottle to appoy a wet mixture (.
    It is essential to eliminate all the fleas and their eggs from any
    animals who live in the home, and akso kill any eggs, larvae and
    fleas from bedding and carpets.

20. To tell the truth, not only are those pests annoying but they also tend to carry a wide
    range of diseases. Unfortunately, controlling
    household bugs typically never enters a homeowner’s mind until theree is an issue.
    It adulterates the food materials and spread pathogenic organisms with
    their faces and defensive secretions.

21. Fermin says:

Finding rid of roaches will by no means be effortless, butt it iss
    feasible. Roaches are notoriusly tough so you can get rid of, so it really is
    greater to seek out out the support of the specialist
    pest administration agency, simply because it could be challenging to locate all cockroach concealing regions
    along with Do it by yourself goods. Find out
    for more info also here .