Controversy and Lies: The “Ground Zero” Mosque

If you’re living in New York City, or anywhere on Planet Earth, you’re probably well-versed in the controversy surrounding Park51, an Islamic Center set to be built in lower Manhattan, two blocks North of Ground Zero.

The project was designed to promote moderate Islam and its sponsors looked to the 92nd Street Y, a Jewish cultural and community center that is open to all religions. Yet the project’s motives have been deeply misconstrued, sparking debate about freedom of religion, Sept. 11, and the place of Islam in American society; debate that has all but hijacked the media for the past 9 months.

The problem with the ever-presence of this controversy on the news is that the lies blend into the truth. It becomes a singular vehicle of noise as opinions and misinformation circulate with the certainty of facts. Here are three of lies and perpetuated misrepresentations to be aware of, associated with the Park51 Islamic Center:

1. Park51 will open on the 10th anniversary of 9/11. The culprit: The New York Post.

2. Imam Abdul Rauf is an extremist and a supporter of terror. The culprits: Among many, Newt Gingrich, who referred to Rauf and his followers as “radical Islamists” and compared their presence in lower Manhattan to Nazis in The National Holocaust Memorial Museum.

3. Building a mosque at ground zero is insensitive to the families of the victims of 9/11. The culprit: the intentional blurring of the distinction between moderate Muslims, like Rauf, and terrorists, like Al Quada. It’s easy to blame the likes of Sarah Palin, who wrote a tweet last month calling on “peaceful Muslims” to “refudiate” the “ground-zero mosque” because it would “stab” American hearts. But unfortunately, the river runs deeper than the former Alaskan Governor. The real culprit is Islamophobia, and the misconception that Islam lies in opposition to American values.

Until America opens itself to true freedom of religion, and breaks the association between Islam (as a whole) and terrorism, it’s hard to foresee the debate dying down anytime soon.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Controversy and Lies: The “Ground Zero” Mosque

1. visible man says:

Please, are you able to Pm me and inform me couple of additional thinks about this, I’m seriously fan of your weblog… will get solved correctly asap.

2. Flor Szocki says:

I normally do not post in Blogs but your blog pressured me to, remarkable work.. wonderful …

3. Greetings! I was interested to know if setting up a blog site such your own: is tough to do for unskilled people? I’ve been hoping to set up my own website for a while now but have been turned off mainly because I’ve always assumed it required tons of work. What do you think? Regards

4. Hey! I’m about to begin my own website and was wondering if you know where the best place to buy a blog url is? I’m not even sure if that’s what its known as? (I’m new to this) I’m referring to “. Exactly how do I go about acquiring one of these for the website I’m creating? Thanks alot 🙂

5. I’m gone tօ convey my little brother, tɦat he should also visit tҺis weblog on regular basis tο oƅtain updated from moѕt up-tо-date news.

6. Thank you for another excellent post. Where else could anybody get that kind of information in such an ideal way of writing? I’ve a presentation next week, and I am on the look for such information.

7. F*ckin’ amazing things here. I am very happy to see your article. Thanks a lot and i am having a look forward to contact you. Will you please drop me a mail?

8. clay healing says:

Keep working ,terrific job!

9. I was recommended this web site by my cousin. I am not sure whether this post is written by him as nobody else know such detailed about my trouble. You’re amazing! Thanks!

10. ちょっとそこちょうどあなたに素早く頭を与えたいと思った。 |あなたはテキストの単語 記事で画面をオフに実行しているように見えるオペラ。問題またはブラウザとは何か|私は、これはフォーマット形式であるかどうかわからないんだけど、互換性が、私考え出した私はあなたが知っているように投稿したいと思います。 レイアウトもとてもよく似合う!すぐに固定 | 問題問題あなたが得る願っています。 乾杯そんなにサイコーと

11. Hi there! I’m at work browsing your blog from my new iphone 3gs! Just wanted to say I love reading your blog and look forward to all your posts! Keep up the great work!

12. A lot of thanks for all of your effort on this web site. Ellie really loves making time for investigations and it’s really easy to understand why. Most people hear all concerning the powerful mode you render helpful tips and hints via the web blog and as well strongly encourage response from the others on this concern then my princess has always been starting to learn so much. Have fun with the remaining portion of the new year. You are always performing a great job.

13. Nice blog here! Additionally your site loads up very fast! What web host are you using? Can I get your affiliate link for your host? I wish my website loaded up as quickly as yours lol

14. Way cool! Some extremely valid pоints! І apprеciate
    yօu penning tɦis post and the rest of the site is also very good.

15. Wonderful site. Plenty of useful information here. I am sending it to a few friends ans also sharing in delicious. And naturally, thanks for your effort!

16. ‘I have often wanted to drown my troubles, but I can get my wife to go swimming’: Book of quips of America’s presidents show how humor is the best political weapon

17. Aussi, je ne pense pas que cela signifie quoi que ce soit;

18. Greetings from California! I’m bored at work so I decided
    to check out your site on my iphone during lunch break. I really like the knowledge you provide here
    and can’t wait to take a look when I get home. I’m shocked at how fast your
    blog loaded on my phone .. I’m not even using WIFI, just 3G ..
    Anyways, fantastic blog!