Top Three Problems for College Grads in NYC

I’m a ‘real person’ now. I graduated college this past May. My friends and I had always looked forward to the day when we would let go of the handrail of academia and independently walk forward to become successful New Yorkers with great jobs and bright futures.

Now, however, most recent grads that I know are experiencing severe disillusionment. They’re realizing that being a real person sucks–especially during a major recession.

Here are the top three reasons why real life is a pest:

1)   JOBS: We’re all unemployed! Recent grads are wallowing in “a cornucopia of joblessness” (to quote my unemployed friend Rich Bellis, Vassar ’10).  Many people have given up on that desired job in publishing or public relations. They have instead taken jobs as waiters or nannies. Many more are giving up completely and moving back home with their parents!

2)   LOANS: On top of being unemployed, many recent graduates have tons of student loans to pay off. Suddenly, we not only have to figure out how to afford to live, but also how to pay back hundreds of thousands of dollars of debt.

3)  INSURANCE: O, and we’re all going to die. And even if we don’t die, we’ll at least have to suffer through untreated colds, flus, infections, etc. All because we don’t have insurance. Many people I know are giving nearly $200 a month to companies like Empire Blue to cover emergencies and trips to the hospital, but when it comes to regular doctor appointments—they’re screwed.

13 Responses to Top Three Problems for College Grads in NYC

1. channon says:

HAHAH! I love #3. Puts everything into perspective.

2. em says:

I am a student willig to become a math teacher. Helpful information thanks. I added your blog on my favorite, will visit again.

3. Find your perfect job on finding jobs in europe. Apply for jobs in the public sector, education jobs, media jobs, graduate jobs and government jobs available today.

4. I’m usually to blogging and i truly appreciate your content material. The article has genuinely peaks my interest. I am going to bookmark your web site and preserve checking for new details.

5. Hello my loved one! I wish to say that this post is awesome, great written and include approximately all vital infos. I would like to peer extra posts like this .

6. Mozelle says:

I think this is among the most important information for me.
    And i am glad reading your article. But wanna remark on some general
    things, The site style is great, the articles is really excellent : D.
    Good job, cheers

7. Somebody necessarily help to make seriously posts I might state. That is the very first time I frequented your web page and so far? I amazed with the research you made to create this particular submit extraordinary. Magnificent activity!

8. We’re a group of volunteers and opening a new scheme in our community. Your website provided us with valuable information to work on. You’ve done a formidable job and our entire community will be thankful to you.

9. We absolutely love your blog and find most of your post’s to be just what I’m looking for. Do you offer guest writers to write content for yourself? I wouldn’t mind writing a post or elaborating on a lot of the subjects you write concerning here. Awesome web log!

10. I have been surfing online more than three hours today, yet I never found any interesting article like yours. It is pretty worth enough for me. Personally, if all web owners and bloggers made good content as you did, the net will be much more useful than ever before.

11. Top Three Problems for College Grads in NYC | Interactive New YorkInteractive New York
    [url=http://www.townwalworthny.com/canada-goose-outlet/order-canada-goose-online.html]order canada goose online[/url]

12. Always remember however, that whenever you go out on the
    open ocean you will need to have other equipment.