Though annoying, tourism has impact on NYC’s bottom line

Like locusts to a plague, they come ready to feast.

But unlike the one-time-only show for Pharaoh, there’s no season for these pests. They swallow everything in their path, from airbrushed tees to snowglobes depicting the city’s landmarks. They clutch maps and guidebooks, and constantly look at odds with their surroundings.  Their distinctive manner of dress immediately announces their intentions (that is, to gobble up pre-processed culture that should be unfit for consumption), and warns the natives to keep their distance.

Though these pests seem to maintain the sole purpose of crowding the sidewalks for city citizens, they exist to bolster the flagging economy.

Destnation360.com mentions that the city accounts for the majority of the state’s tourism earnings, both with various events and the celebrated holiday happenings. NYCGo shows how great a fiscal aid the pests are in numerical terms.  Visitor spending in 2008 brought in over 32 billion, and bolstered over 313,000 jobs. More money spent by the locusts clearly benefits New York’s citizens.

Since the city relies on tourism so heavily, revenues can suffer due to uncontrollable events. While volcano ash clouds prevented Europeans from traveling, the New York Daily News predicted that the city would lose around 250 million in revenue. This became especially significant considering that four of the top five countries sending pests to New York are European, with the United Kingdom the clear leader (NYCGo).

In an August 17 article for FoxNews.com, Rick Leventhal mentions that 23.5 million pests have swarmed in since the beginning of this year. Following the upward trajectory would result in “an all-time record.”

And maybe the pests aren’t just gorging on Cheez-Whiz culture. Leventhal reports that “attendance at museum exhibits and Broadway is at an all-time high.”

About Sarah Ewald

Grad student at CUNY J-school. I'm interested in writing, new media and entertainment (among many other things).
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Though annoying, tourism has impact on NYC’s bottom line

1. kindermode says:

You made some first rate factors there. I regarded on the internet for the difficulty and located most individuals will go together with along with your website.

2. Appreciating the persistence you put into your website and detailed information you present. It’s good to come across a blog every once in a while that isn’t the same old rehashed material. Wonderful read! I’ve bookmarked your site and I’m adding your RSS feeds to my Google account.

3. Great blog! I am loving it!! Will come back again. I am bookmarking your feeds also.

4. Helpful info. Fortunate me I discovered your site unintentionally, and I am shocked why this twist of fate didn’t took place in advance! I bookmarked it.

5. I don’t know if it’s just me or if perhaps everyone else experiencing issues with your website. It looks like some of the text in your content are running off the screen. Can someone else please provide feedback and let me know if this is happening to them too? This might be a problem with my browser because I’ve had this happen before. Many thanks

6. health plus says:

What i do not realize is actually how you’re not actually much more well-liked than you might be now. You are very intelligent. You realize therefore significantly relating to this subject, produced me personally consider it from numerous varied angles. Its like women and men aren’t fascinated unless it’s one thing to do with Lady gaga! Your own stuffs nice. Always maintain it up!

7. Hello
    The story was very good and useful

8. If some one needs to be updated with most recent technologies
    after that he must be visit this web page and be up to date everyday.