Everyone’s a Voyeurist. (They’re watching me watch them watch me, right now.)

Calling an exterminator will not kill every type of New York pest. Some vermin are part and parcel of the urban territory, as quintessential to the landscape’s harmony as taxicab horns and catcalls. Peeping Toms are one such pest.

Wikipedia defines a Peeping Tom as a voyeur, or “someone who derives sexual pleasure from observing other people.” The invention of the camera phone in 1997 increased public concern about these vermin and the moral implications of up-the-skirt photos appearing on the internet. Congress responded by passing The Video Voyeurism Act of 2004, which prohibits the intentional photographing or videotaping of an individual’s private areas without consent. But the phenomenon of voyeurism itself is hardly modern. In 1905, Freud published Three Essays on the Theory of Sexuality, in which he asserted that “scopophilia” – which literally translates to “the pleasure of looking” – is a natural sexual inclination. However, this inclination can become “perverse,” according to Freud, when the pleasure of looking is “restricted exclusively to the genitals,” “connected with the overriding of disgust,” or if, “instead of being preparatory to the normal sexual aim, it supplants it.”

The Manhattan grid is prime territory for voyeurs, who seek vantage points, such as apartments without curtains, where they can observe without being observed themselves. The city is crowded with both buildings and people, but it’s also largely anonymous. You can live across the street from someone without meeting them face-to-face. Or knowing that they watch you shower, whenever you leave the blinds open.

Modest Mouse – Paper Thin Walls

Peeping Tom -A trailer for Peeping Tom, a 1960 British horror film directed by Michael Powell.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Everyone’s a Voyeurist. (They’re watching me watch them watch me, right now.)

1. A. Adam Glenn says:

Raises a lot of questions in a city that probably also attracts an oversized number of exhibitionists! Great turf to mine for stories, though, and really interesting mix of links too – with a very creepy movie trailer.

2. Hannah Miet says:

You’re right. I’d venture to guess the Peeping Tom : Exhibitionist ratio is about equal. The problem is that the Toms aren’t only peeping at those who like it when someone is watching.

I also think that the anonymous architecture of the city brings out the voyeurist in everyone.

3. ian.chant says:

Damn I love that song.

4. video web says:

What’s up, this weekend is pleasant in favor of me, since this occasion i am reading this fantastic educational paragraph here at my house.

5. in its present condition in the act of personage, bait pick
    up lure thoughts, seduction charmity, and more than that owned pull makeup.
    part of lingered with it dramaturgical star near attractiveness own spiel, as a consequence any convert classic as long as the number one consummation furthermore melodramatic
    indicative elements. this breath jordan 11 remain belles-lettres as
    regards days of yore. not at all matter continue dramaturgic caliph attainment as an alternative tense heavenly manifestation total gutbucket not endure dated away spare
    . even supposing tense natural technologies enter in up to the minute tense gym shoe design, climactic
    last regarded just as a deuce showing primary chic expressive footwear microcosm.
    here act merit.

6. Some of the comments seems out of proprtion but in general the original post is a good little piece of work.

7. Way ta aller pal! Vous les avez vraiment montré!

8. Hello there, just became alert to your blog through Google,
    and found that it is truly informative. I am going to watch
    out for brussels. I’ll appreciate if you continue this
    in future. Lots of people will be benefited from your writing.
    Cheers!

9. Mebel Jati says:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on meja makan. Regards

10. Go ahead and download this limited version Dungeon Hunter 4 cheat app if you want to get in the
    leaderboards!

11. Excellent blog post. I certainly love this website.
    Keep writing!

12. Awesome things here. I am very happy to look
    your post. Thanks so much and I’m taking a look forward to touch you.
    Will you kindly drop me a e-mail?

13. e-learning says:

Heya i’m for the primary time here. I came across this board and
    I find It really useful & it helped me out much. I’m hoping to give something back and aid others such as you aided me.

14. Antwan says:

De nada sirve apretar en la primera cuesta, a los 6 km, cuando te quedan 5 paredes más de ese tipo y
    tus fuerzas no aguantarán ni la mitad del recorrido.

15. Inexpensive web marketing can be gained by way of
    professionally developed enterprise cards.

16. hey there and thank you for our injformation – I have certainly picked up something
    new from right here. I did however expertise some technical issues using
    this weeb site, as I experienced to reload tthe web sie many times
    previous to I could get it to load properly. I had been wonderding if your hosting is OK?
    Not that I am complaining, but slow loading instance times will often affect youhr placement in google and can damage your high-quality score
    if advertising and marketing with Adwords. Anyway I’m adding this RSS to my email and
    could look out forr much more of your respective exciting
    content. Make sure you update this again soon.

17. I pay a visit everyday some sites and blogs to read posts, however this website presents quality based
    articles.

18. ponemusic says:

thank you for sharing

19. I think that is one of the so much important info for me.
    And i’m glad reading your article. However wanna statement on some general issues, The site
    taste is great, the articles is truly nice : D. Just right activity, cheers

20. nextsub says:

good article. thanks for sharing

21. hi
    very good article