Manic Street Preachers: Sermons from the Subway

Being in your apartment is like being in a cocoon – you are insulated against people intent on pushing you, screaming at you, brushing you, falling on you, stepping on you.

Once you are on a subway train, you may attempt to recreate that cocoon by putting on your headphones or avoiding eye contact. There is one pest of New York that can always cut through your hastily constructed wall: the proselytizer.

Proselytizers, or Street Preachers, have every intention of having you hear what they have to say,  even if what they have to say is of little consequence to you. They preach from bibles and pamphlets. They annunciate and shout. They pace up and down the subway car whether the train is empty or packed. Although they come in all shapes and sizes their message is often the same – you are damned.

People who aren’t religious may find the presumptiveness of Street Preachers astonishing.  People who are spiritual can resent the intrusion on their moment of calm; if they wanted to hear the word of God, they would go to their own place of worship.

In New York, it’s impossible to find a moment to yourself, a moment of peace.  But if you find your moment interrupted by the brash words of a street preacher, be warned. Do not ask them to pipe down. Do not ask them anything. Do not make eye contact with them. Your moment of attention, is exactly what they’re looking for.

This entry was posted in People Pests and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Manic Street Preachers: Sermons from the Subway

1. A. Adam Glenn says:

Talk about noise pollution. The decibels on these guys is often just amazing. Who needs a bullhorn?! … And yes, I agree, it is very annoying to have someone shouting at you that you’re headed for eternal damnation. Why do they think I live in New York anyway? I want to get there as quickly as possible!

2. anavgkelq tqkqj qfjfwuw mfpl xtjxizwcyyjwblf

3. You made some decent points there. I looked on the internet for the problem and found most people will go along with together with your web-site.

4. WONDERFUL Post.thanks for share..more wait .. …

5. I feel this is among the so much vital info for me. And i’m satisfied studying your article. But want to commentary on few general issues, The site taste is ideal, the articles is really excellent : D. Just right process, cheers

6. game sites says:

Fantastic beat ! I would like to apprentice while you amend your web site, how can i subscribe for a blog web site? The account aided me a acceptable deal. I had been tiny bit acquainted of this your broadcast offered bright clear concept

7. I just like the helpful information you provide in your articles. I will bookmark your weblog and check again right here regularly. I am relatively sure I’ll learn a lot of new stuff right here! Good luck for the following!

8. I was quite pleased to find this internet site. I wanted to thanks for your time for this amazing read!! I certainly enjoying every single little bit of it and I’ve you bookmarked to check out new stuff you weblog post.

9. You made some clear points there. I looked on the internet for the topic and found most people will go along with with your site.